Weekly Update 4/30/2020
Honoring Mary, Mother of the Church
The month of May is traditionally set aside to honor the special role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the life of the Church. In light of the global pandemic sweeping our world, the month will begin in a very special way. The Bishops of the United States in conjunction with the Bishops of Canada have made a collaborative decision to re-consecrate both countries to the intercession and protection of Our Lady under the title of Mary, Mother of the Church on Friday, May 1st at 3 PM EDT. As Archbishop Gomez, the President of the USCCB noted “This will give the Church the occasion to pray for Our Lady’s continued protection of the vulnerable, healing of the unwell, and wisdom for those who work to cure this terrible virus.” This event will be aired live on the EWTN Television Network (check listings for appropriate cable channel), the EWTN Facebook page, or on St. Gabriel Radio, (AM 820, Columbus; FM 88.3 Portsmouth). If you have not done so already please widely share this information with your parishioners and others, in addition to these two web page links:
Diocesan link: https://columbuscatholic.org/marian-devotions
The Sacrament of Penance
Given such unusual circumstances, and wanting to maintain abundant caution, Bishop Brennan announced in his letter to us this week that he has dispensed all the Catholic Faithful of the Diocese of Columbus from the obligation of the Easter Duty for this year. He also announced he has given permission for the limited celebration of the Sacrament of Penance to begin.
Saint Thomas will begin the limited celebration of the Sacrament of Penance
Beginning Wednesday, May 6, Father Sullivan will hear Confessions on Wednesdays from 6 -8 pm in the Saint Thomas Activity Center.
To ensure everyone’s safety, confessions will be heard by appointment only,
scheduled in five-minute increments.
How will it work? What to expect:
- Appointments will be scheduled in sequential order so as not to leave gaps of time between penitents.
- You may request your appointment by calling (740) 453-3301, option 6. Messages will be returned during business hours with your scheduled time.
- You need not request your appointment by name, to maintain anonymity, but you must schedule an appointment.
- Arrive no more than five minutes before your scheduled time, remaining in your automobile until your appointment.
- The Knights of Columbus will be available outside at the Entrance and Exit so you will not have to touch door handles.
- You must wear a mask or some other facial covering.
- Enter by way of the parking lot entrance labeled ENTER.
- You and Father will be the only ones in the Activity Center. You will stand six feet away from Father’s back, who will be seated facing the altar. In your regular speaking voice tell Father your sins. This is not a time for a spiritual conversation. Be brief and to the point.
- Father will hear your confession, give you absolution and a penance which you can do at home.
- Exit the Activity Center by way of the vestibule door labeled EXIT.
- Return to your automobile and depart, not forgetting to complete your penance when you return home.